Construction Project Dispute Resolution OptionsA construction project will inevitably go through some if not many changes that could bring about a need for dispute resolution.  A lot can happen between the time you sign a contract and the time is takes to complete the project.  Changes can mean extra work, time and money for the contractors and subcontractors.  This may also lead to the development of disputes between homeowners and contractors.  An experienced construction law attorney can help you protect your interests and clarify each of the party’s responsibilities.  The Law Office of Fisher Stark, P.A. handles a wide range of construction disputes, including extra work claims.

When extra work is required beyond the scope of the original contract, the first step is to make sure the required extra work is in writing.  When properly documented, everyone knows what is expected and no one can claim the work was unauthorized. If there is no written agreement for some reason, make sure you document the work that was done.

So what were the circumstances that led to the extra work claim?  In many cases, when a dispute arises, the contractor or owner may need to reconstruct all the circumstances that led up to the extra work, what work was done, what resources were required and what would be a fair price. Conversely, the homeowner needs to ensure that the work was done timely, correctly and up to code. If the work is not done properly, this can lead to expensive and costly repairs.

Our construction law attorneys can help you find the appropriate basis to support or deny the extra work claim and establish fair value for the work performed. We also have resources available to help determine the fair value of extra work.

At our law firm, we uncover the facts and we fight for our clients. We will give you straight answers about whether the extra work was authorized, what the extra work claim is worth and what action you should take. We represent construction contractors and homeowners in Western North Carolina including Buncombe County, Henderson County, Haywood County, Transylvania County and Madison County.

Last updated 7/5/2015