What Causes Traumatic Brain Injuries?
Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are, as the name suggests, injuries to the brain (brain damage) that result from trauma. It is a common misconception that you have to hit your head on something to get a brain injury.
This is not true.
Serious brain injuries often occur from the brain moving around inside the skull and contacting or scraping the skull. While a blow to the head can indeed cause a brain injury, many times the head snapping back and forth is enough do damage.
The symptoms of a traumatic brain injury can vary depending on the extent of damage to the brain. They are a major cause of death and disability in the United States. Individuals with a TBI may experience the following symptoms:
- Changes to senses such as dizziness, loss of sense of smell/taste, or sensitivity to sound or light
- Difficulty speaking or expressing thoughts verbally
- Confusion, shortened attention spans, or difficulty following directions
- Recurring or constant headaches
- Loss of coordination or disturbed sense of balance
Is a Traumatic Brain Injury Permanent?
Suffering a traumatic brain injury is life altering. If you or a loved one have suffered a brain injury due to the fault of someone else, you may want to speak to a personal injury lawyer. Victims need experienced legal representation.
At Fisher Stark, P.A., we have experience representing people with traumatic brain injuries. Also, an experienced law firm such as Fisher Stark has the proper resources to conduct an effective investigation and take the case to trial.
If you or someone you know has suffered a traumatic brain injury, we invite you to call Fisher Stark, P.A. today at 828-505-4300 to schedule a free consultation.
What are the Long Term Effects of Traumatic Brain Injury?
One of the most common forms of TBI are concussions. Concussions have been a hot topic lately in the sports world because of the frequency that athletes are affected by them. Concussions are sometimes caused by the brain moving forcefully against the inner walls of the skull.
The effects of a concussion are sometimes temporary but can also have lasting complications. Potential concussion complications can include:
- Post-concussion syndrome. Some people may have symptoms including headaches, dizziness and cognitive difficulties that persist for months after the concussion.
- Second impact syndrome. Experiencing another concussion before the symptoms of the first concussion end can result in fatal brain swelling.
- Post-traumatic headaches. Headaches can persist for weeks after the initial accident.
- Post-traumatic vertigo. A sense of dizziness can persist for months after a brain injury.
How can Head Injuries be Prevented?
There is no guaranteed method of completely avoiding brain or head injuries but there are several things that you can do in order to minimize your risk of head injury:
- Wearing the proper protective equipment during recreational activities. Always make sure that your protective equipment fits properly and is well maintained. Always wear protective headgear when bicycling or motorcycling.
- Wearing your seatbelt. Your seatbelt may prevent serious head injuries during a traffic collision.
- Keep your home safe. Make sure to ensure that your house is free of anything that might cause you to trip and fall. Falls in the home are one of the leading causes of brain injuries.
Even if you take every precaution you cannot control the actions of others. If you or a loved one has experienced a traumatic brain injury because of someone else’s negligence or bad decisions, you may be entitled to compensation.
The trial lawyers at Fisher Stark, P.A., are experienced in helping folks with traumatic brain injuries and their families who are often left to care for their injured loved ones. We work hard to help the victims of such catastrophic injuries hold those responsible accountable.
Fisher Stark, P.A., serves Asheville, Buncombe Country and other surrounding Western North Carolina areas. If you would like a free case evaluation, please reach out by calling us at 828-505-4300 today.
We will work hard to get you the justice & fair compensation you deserve. Fisher Stark, P.A. is a highly respected personal injury law firm in Asheville, NC. We provide experienced legal help for clients in Buncombe County and all of Western North Carolina. Collectively, our legal team – Perry Fisher, and Brad Stark – have more than 40 years of trial practice, and have participated in more than 1,000 personal injury & accident cases. Call Fisher Stark, P.A. at 828-505-4300 for a free consultation.