Motorcycle Accidents & Crashes Cause Catastrophic Injuries with Lasting Consequences
The trial attorneys at Fisher Stark, P.A., know that Western North Carolina is a mecca for motorcycle riders. But, while beautiful, the winding mountain roads and narrow streets can often spell trouble when people in cars and trucks do not follow the rules of the road.
Consequently, even the most careful motorcycle riders can be injured or killed through no fault of their own. If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle accident contact the lawyers at Fisher Stark, P.A. for a free consultation.
What are the major causes of motorcycle accidents?
The most common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Motorists failing to yield to motorcyclists. Failure to yield is often caused by the driver not taking the time to perceive the motorcyclist.
- Intoxicated driving. If the driver of the passenger vehicle is driving drunk, this can be a major contributing factor in a motorcycle accident.
- Drivers who are performing any activities to divert their attention away from driving are far less likely to see a motorcyclist. Distracted driving causes roughly 10% of all fatal motorcycle accidents.
- Motorists failing to accurately assess the speed of motorcycles. Many drivers of passenger vehicles will mistake how fast a motorcycle is traveling and assume that they can cross in front of them.
- Failing to maintain a safe following distance. Motorcycles are often rear-ended by inattentive drivers.
- Motorists hitting motorcycle riders because they failed to check their blind spot. Drivers may fail to thoroughly check their blind spot while switching lanes and crash into a motorcycle rider in the lane beside them.
- Design defects or mechanical malfunctions with the motorcycle. Defects can contribute to causing an accident. If your motorcycle malfunctions, the manufacturer of the motorcycle could potentially be held liable in a products liability lawsuit.
- Unmaintained roads or hazards on the road. Potholes, debris and waste in the road can be hazardous to all drivers, including motorcyclists. In some cases, the government agency (Department of Transportation, etc), private company or individuals responsible for maintaining the road may be held liable if the condition of the road caused or contributed to the accident.
What are the most common motorcycle injuries?
Injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents can be devastating, life-threatening and sometimes fatal. Some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries are:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
- Broken bones
What is the average payout for a motorcycle accident?
Monetary compensation for lifelong injuries can include fair compensation for such things as:
- Emergency medical expenses
- Ongoing medical care
- Medication expenses
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Ongoing psychological counseling
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Asheville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
If a motorcycle accident has caused an injury to you or someone you love, experience matters. You need attorneys who are experts at the laws affecting motorcycles, gathering critical evidence, negotiating with insurance companies, and who can prepare litigation, as necessary, to get the largest possible settlement and fair compensation. Let the legal team here at Fisher Stark P.A. help you.
We will work hard to get you the justice & fair compensation you deserve. Fisher Stark, P.A. is a highly respected personal injury law firm in Asheville, NC. We provide experienced legal help for clients in Buncombe County and all of Western North Carolina. Collectively, our legal team – Perry Fisher, Brad Stark and Megan Silver – have more than 50 years of trial practice, and have participated in more than 1,000 personal injury & accident cases. Call Fisher Stark, P.A. at 828-505-4300 for a free consultation OR take our quiz >> “Is It Time to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?”