If you’re looking for a fun mountain escape featuring the very best of the great outdoors and a lively artistic scene, Asheville, North Carolina offers something for everyone. Here’s a list of some of the must-visit attractions in Asheville, North Carolina…
#1: Visit the historic Biltmore Estate
Created by the legendary Vanderbilt family at the turn of the 20th century, the famous Biltmore Estate is modeled after the famous castles, chateaux and royal estates of Europe. There is plenty of art on display – including famous pieces by the likes of Renoir – as well as a winery and plenty of other attractions on a sprawling 8,000-acre estate.
#2: Stroll through downtown’s many walkable neighborhoods
Part of what makes Asheville, North Carolina so unique are all the walkable neighborhoods. Along tree-lined streets, you’ll find art galleries, independent book stores, and cafes. There’s a lot of history in Asheville, North Carolina, so this is a great chance to sign up for one of the many tours of the city.
#3: Explore the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains
During your visit to Asheville, North Carolina you will absolutely need to carve out time to explore the gorgeous mountain scenery of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Asheville is located close to plenty of hiking and biking trails, and there are plenty of adventure centers that can send you zip-lining over the mountain landscape.
#4: Visit Asheville’s art districts
There’s a lively arts scene in Asheville that has a rich history just waiting to be explored. You can go to any of the city’s top galleries and museums located within the Downtown Arts District, or head out over to the much newer River Arts District, which features old factory buildings converted into artist lofts and studios. This is a great chance to pick up some original, one-of-a-kind artwork.
#5: Go for a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway
There’s a lot of natural beauty surrounding Asheville, North Carolina, and one favorite way to see as much of it as possible is by heading out on the Blue Ridge Parkway, which links Shenandoah National Park and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This has been called “America’s favorite drive” for good reason – this nearly 470-mile road is filled with scenic attractions and breathtaking views. Take a break for the day at the Folk Art Center near Asheville, which features artwork from regional craftsmen.
#6: Take in the epic views from downtown
There are now rooftop hangouts in Asheville, such as the SkyBar Asheville, where you can sit back, relax with a cocktail or local craft beer and take in all the skyline views of Asheville. There’s a growing urban sophistication in Asheville that’s fun to experience.
#7: Admire the city’s unique and historic architecture
Asheville, North Carolina is a jewel box of a city, and one favorite attraction of visitors and locals alike is the dome-topped Basilica of Saint Lawrence, which was built back in 1905. There are plenty of other architectural marvels to take in, wherever you happen to be in Asheville.
The combination of a lively artistic scene and the epic sweep of the Blue Ridge Mountains is what makes Asheville, North Carolina so unique. The mountain vibe of this city makes for a great retreat from everyday life. You can enjoy the city as a three-day weekend escape, or linger longer to soak up the rich history of this unique city, which is a true tourist gem in the U.S. Southeast.
And a lot more things below!
- Biltmore House 1 Lodge Street Asheville, NC 28803 (800) 411-3812
- Biltmore House Grounds
- Brews Cruise
- LaZoom Bus Tours 90 Biltmore Ave Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 225-6932
- Grove Park Inn 290 Macon Ave Asheville, NC 28804 (828) 252-2711
- Zip Lines – Our favorite zipline is The Gorge.
- French Broad River
- Hot Springs 315 Bridge Street Hot Springs, NC 28743 (828) 622-7676
- Chimney Rock 431 Main St. Chimney Rock, NC 28720 (800) 277-9611
- Trolley Tours
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Trout Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- NC Arboretum 100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way Asheville, NC 28806 (828) 665-2492
- Farmers Market 570 Brevard Rd Asheville, NC 28806 (828) 253-1691
- Asheville Art Museum 2 N Pack Square Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 253-3227
- Folk Art Center 382 Blue Ridge Pkwy Asheville, NC 28805 (828) 298-7928
- Montford Park Players 92 Gay St Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 254-5146
- Riverside Cemetery 53 Birch Street Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 350-2066
- Asheville Tourists 30 Buchanan Pl Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 258-0428
- Thomas Wolfe House 52 N Market St Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 253-8304
- Botanical Gardens 151 W T. Weaver Blvd Asheville, NC 28804 (828) 252-5190
- WNC Nature Center 75 Gashes Creek Rd Asheville, NC 28805 (828) 298-5600
- Grove Arcade 1 Page Ave Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 252-7799
- River Arts District
- Mount Mitchell 2388 N Carolina 128 Burnsville, NC 28714 (828) 675-4611
- Basilica of Saint Lawrence 97 Haywood St Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 252-6042
- Graveyard Fields
- Food Lion Skate Park 50 Cherry St. N. Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 225-7184
- Asheville Mall 3 S Tunnel Rd Asheville, NC 28805 (828) 298-0012
- The Orange Peel 101 Biltmore Ave Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 398-1837
- Cherokee Indian Reservation
- Cherokee Casino
- The Drum Circle
- Asheville Street Art
- Smith-McDowell House 283 Victoria Rd Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 253-9231
- Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
- MOOG 160 Broadway St Asheville, NC 28801 (828) 251-0090
- Shop Downtown
- Grab A Coffee
- Vance Birthplace 911 Reems Creek Rd. Weaverville, N.C. 28787 (828) 645-6706
- Get Freaky
- UNCA 1 University Heights Asheville, NC 28804 (828) 251-6600
- Do Asheville exploreasheville.com
Here are more fun activities in Asheville NC.
Hop over here to learn more about Asheville, NC.
Last updated 01/07/2018
We will work hard to get you the justice & fair compensation you deserve. Fisher Stark, P.A. is a highly respected personal injury law firm in Asheville, NC. We provide experienced legal help for clients in Buncombe County and all of Western North Carolina. Collectively, our legal team – Perry Fisher, Brad Stark and Megan Silver – have more than 50 years of trial practice, and have participated in more than 1,000 personal injury & accident cases. Call Fisher Stark, P.A. at 828-505-4300 for a free consultation OR take our quiz >> “Is It Time to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?”